Freeing Up Your Time
We understand that your time is important. That’s why your professional and business interests are our focus every day and night. 24/7.
As a member, you have 24/7 access to helpful solutions, innovative ideas, educational materials, documents and forms, plus helpful services.
During the day call us toll-free at (800) 235-3502 with your questions or send us an e-mail. If we can’t readily answer or direct your inquiry, we’ll contact one of our invaluable connections and networking resources in Oregon or around the country and get back to you with an answer. This way you can get back to caring for and treating your patients.
Responding to your needs and concerns
We often hear from members who share their perspectives and thoughts on issues and who offer suggestions as to how the OVMA can be of better value and service to you and your colleagues.
We listen closely to your input and take your suggestions to heart. Following are a few examples of what we developed after hearing from you:
- The OVMA conducts a Compensation and Benefits Survey of veterinary associates and the healthcare team, with a comparison of other members and practice teams by region and across the state.
- To help support veterinarians and practices that are interested in providing hospice care for their patients, the OVMA has developed guidelines that highlight the commitment and roles and responsibilities necessary to provide this service.
- To assist the veterinary profession with recognizing and understanding its role and responsibility for health and safety in the workplace, we developed “An Ounce of Prevention,” a user-friendly manual and educational video that helps with OSHA compliance.
Providing quick answers to your queries
The OVMA staff is a trained and available resource whenever you have a question or concern. With key contacts in Oregon and across the US, we can readily address your phone or e-mail queries. We’ll do the research and get you an answer—saving you valuable time in the process.
Here are several examples of the kinds of topics in which we have helped you and your colleagues:
- The OVMEB rules that require you to use appropriate and humane methods of anesthesia, analgesia and sedation to minimize pain and distress in your patients during any procedure or condition. Plus any exception.
- What legal options are at your disposal when a client fails to pick up their animal after you have provided the agreed upon veterinary care.
- Your obligations and requirements for filling or refilling a prescription for Schedule III and Schedule IV controlled substances.
Keeping you informed
While you are caring for your patients, the OVMA has its finger on the pulse of products recalls, disease outbreaks and changes in regulations that impact how you practice medicine. And we alert you to these developments either through our e-News service, by fax or with notices on this Web site and through social media, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Because you want to assimilate the information and be prepared to address any concerns with your clients to ensure that the health and safety of your patients is protected.
- We informed you when the Oregon Board of Pharmacy changed its rules and classified PPA as a controlled substance.
- Our office coordinated efforts with the Oregon Department of Agriculture to alert veterinarians to a fast-spreading EHV-1 outbreak.