- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is cautioning pet owners not to feed their pets certain lots of Texas Tripe Inc. raw pet food after samples from some of these lots tested positive for Salmonella and/or Listeria monocytogenes (L. mono).
- Texas Tripe Inc. has recalled 35 lots for each of 23 product varieties.
- If you have any of the recalled Texas Tripe Inc products, throw them away.
- FDA is issuing this alert because these lots of Texas Tripe Inc. raw pet food represent a serious threat to human and animal health. Because these products are sold and stored frozen, FDA is concerned that people may still have them in their possession.
- Salmonella and L. mono can affect both human and animal health. People with symptoms of Salmonella and L. mono infection should consult their health care providers. Consult a veterinarian if your pet has symptoms of Salmonella or L. mono infection.
Texas Tripe Inc. of Detroit TX recalls Texas Tripe brand name products: Ground Turkey Necks, Chicken Tripe complete, Ground chicken W/bone, Shepherd blend, Chicken Pork Salmon W/egg, Chicken Blend Green Tripe, Phat Katz, Senior Pro, All-Star Bully Blend, Beef Blend, Duck-Rabbit, Goat Tripe Complete, Boneless Chicken Blend, Turkey Pork Blend, Beef Tripe& Ground Rabbit, and Wolf Run.
Lot #'s affected: 19148, 19419, 19150, 19151, 19154, 19155, 19156, 19157, 19158, 19161, 19162, 19163, 19164, 19165, 19168, 19169, 19170, 19171, 19172, 19175, 19176, 19177, 19178, 19179, 19181, and 19182
These items are being recalled because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria Monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
Products (listed above) were distributed in Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Louisiana, Kansas, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Indiana, California, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Virginia, S. Carolina, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho, Wisconsin, N Carolina, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, and Kentucky directly to the end user, via either FedEx or delivery truck.
The products (listed above) were sold as case sale only. They come in either 20# or a 40# case with a label located on the end of the box describing the product and supplying the lot number.
No illnesses have been reported to date.
The potential contamination was found after a routine investigation performed by the state of Texas. Texas Tripe found a possible source of contamination and have since made the corrective action.
Contact Texas Tripe at (903) 674-8042 or email@example.com to determine the best way to get the products returned.