Your Role in Animal Cruelty Issues
9:00 a.m - 4:30 p.m.
LaSells Stewart Center
Oregon State University, Corvallis
$65 Registration / 6.0 hours of CE
Sponsored by the OVMA and the Animal Health Foundation of Oregon
Be informed. Be involved. Be present.
Veterinarians and the veterinary team are on the front line of confronting animal neglect and cruelty. Join us as experts with the ASPCA’s Animal Forensic Sciences Team discuss your important roles and responsibilities in addressing animal welfare, plus the critical identification and documentation of neglect and abuse. Refine what you know. Learn what you might not know.
- Rachel Touroo, DVM - Director, Veterinary Forensics
- Randall Lockwood, PhD - Senior Vice President, Anti-Cruelty Projects
- The animal cruelty-interpersonal violence connection: one reason to care
- Recognizing different forms of animal cruelty
- The forensic exam
- Effective veterinary forensic reports
- What veterinary forensic pathology can tell us about the psychology of animal abusers
- Ethical and legal mandates to report animal abuse and neglect
- The veterinarian in court—what prosecutors want, what veterinarians can expect
- Special topics: blood sports, large scale animal cruelty cases
- Dealing with the impact of responding to cruelty: compassion fatigue and burnout
Registration Deadline: Monday, April 8, 2019